2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp *ground flaxseed
(Ground flaxseeds are great for plant-based diets! Full of omega 3 fats, antioxidants, protein, fiber, and they are easily digestible.)
3/4 cups flour (I like spelt or einkorn)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ cup non-dairy milk (I like Elmhurst Almond milk - or make your own!)
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp avocado oil (or grapeseed or vegetable oil)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
*optional 1-2 droppers cbd oil (Tonic CBD is great and we sock it at Friends)
3-4 teaspoons oil + 2-3 Tbsp vegan butter for cooking
Optional toppings: Maple syrup, vegan butter, coconut yogurt, granola, more ground flaxseed, tahini, peeled and finely grated ginger or turmeric, seasonal fruit
- In a large bowl stir together water and flaxseed then let sit to congeal, 5 min.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir into flaxseed mixture: milk, maple syrup, avocado oil, vanilla, and (if using) cbd oil. Stir flour mixture into flaxseed mixture just until combined. Don’t overmix.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, swirling pan to coat. For each pancake add ¼ cup batter. Lower heat to medium and cook until edges start to look dry, 2-2½ minutes. Flip pancakes, reduce heat to low, and add a few tiny knobs of butter onto pancakes and skillet, swirling skillet to coat both. Cook until golden brown, another 2-3 minutes. Carefully wipe pan with a paper towel in between cooking batches.
- Serve pancakes on a plate and top with vegan butter, maple syrup, and any other toppings.
*Keep it fresh! Store-bought ground flaxseed is called flax meal. You never know when it was ground, and it loses its binding quality the longer it sits on a shelf. Instead, I like to buy whole flaxseed and grind it myself in my blender or coffee grinder (I recommend grinding some rice in your coffee grinder first to clean out any old coffee). Store in freezer or fridge.
We asked Katy a few questions from the Proust questionnaire plus a couple Q's about Keetz plant bites. Check it out below.